Does a visit to the dentist make you a little nervous? Don’t worry you are absolutely not alone!
Dental anxiety is experienced by many, and unfortunately this can lead to poor oral health outcomes as we often put off going to the dentist when feeling that way.
We want you to feel as comfortable as possible during your dental appointments so here are SIX TOP TIPS to reduce stress in the dental environment and keep your teeth as healthy as they can be!
- Choose a dentist that you feel comfortable with and can communicate easily with you, dentists deal with dental fear and anxiety very regularly and want to minimise your stress as much as possible. If you feel that you can communicate your concerns and they will be heard you may feel more at ease.
- Bring a support person with you; sometimes having a familiar face in the room is enough to feel calmer.
- Have your favourite podcast or music ready to go! The dental environment is full of unfamiliar noises so you may find listening to some funky beats or a great podcast the best way to dull down these noises this way you might feel more comfortable.
- Have a plan! Having a treatment plan for some people is very handy it creates understanding about what is coming next and getting you prepared for that, this can include length of appointments, where in the mouth the dentist might be working and approximate cost of treatment, this way you are never taken off guard and always know what’s coming next.
- Many people find relief using essential oils; lavender, chamomile and ylang-ylang are commonly used for calming and stress prevention.
- And finally prevention, seeing your dentist and dental hygienist regularly will help prevent the need for complex dental treatment and you’ll also get the chance to build a rapport with your dental team. Friendly familiar faces go a long way to reducing dental anxiety.